2 Step To Make Perfect Beef Pot Pie

shares |

This recipe was really easy compared to the nightmarish cannelloni of two weeks past so I was grateful for that. Especially considering it’s a million degrees here and I spend most of my waking hours wanting to nap. Great little recipe and will definitely be making again, perhaps with more finesse and skill in the pastry department!
Beef Pot Pie

Time:  A few hours with a bit of down time in between to have a wine

Serves:  2  fatties or 4 skinnies

Step  1. Learn How to Make Pastry

I laugh in the face of a recipe that calls for store bought anything so I found a recipe online and bada boom bada bang – made pastry for the first time ever. I halved the original recipe because I was only making a pie topping rather than the base too.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
140grams cold butter, cut into 1cm cubes
Pinch of salt
3 tbsp cold water

Directions:
1. Put the flour and about half the butter into a whizz and pulse until breadcrumbish. Then add the rest of the butter and pulse a few times before adding the cold water (with salt dissolved into it) and pulsing a few more times. It should be kind of firm to touch when you pinch it between your fingers.
2. Dump the contents onto a floured piece of cling film then bring together into a rectangular looking lump. Chuck some flour on the dough then sandwich another piece of cling film on top. Now roll it out until it’s thin.
3. Then peel of the cling film and fold it lots of times in an elaborate manor (I didn’t follow the folding method specifically). It should fold down into a small rectangle that you then wrap in cling film and cool in the fridge for at least an hour.

Step 2. The Filling

Ingredients:
Olive oil
Braising beef (I went with about 400grams) cut into 2cm chunks
1 onion, thinly sliced
200g button mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 tbsp flour
2 tsp paprika
1 cup beef stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (I used soy sauce instead)
2 tsp mustard
1 egg lightly whisked

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan then add half the beef to brown off. Then remove to a side dish and repeat with the remaining beef. Add the onion and mushrooms to the pan (I also added a clove of garlic) and cook until onion softens. Return beef to pan, sprinkle with flour and paprika then cook for a minute.
2. Add the beef stock and tomato paste. At this point I also added in some leafy green vege and chopped up carrots to up the healthy factor.
3. Cook covered over a low heat for an hour or so until the beef is deliciously tender. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Add sour cream, sauce and mustard. Season well.
4. If you are doing a base to the pie, blind bake some shortcut pastry for about 15minutes then spoon the meat mixture onto the pastry and top with the puff.
5. Due to my lack of appropriate dishes I went more rustic and put the mixture into a dish then just covered with the puff. Paint the egg wash over the pastry then put in the oven.
6. Bake at about 200degrees until pastry is golden brown and puffed (or in my case just golden brown). The final result was YUM but I don’t think the pastry was as it should have been.

It reminded me more of a shortcrust pastry and was weirdly sweet so I may have put in too much butter – it would have helped if I had actually measured out the butter in the first place but my scales were broken so I winged it.

Oh well, next time I’ll ace the pastry and have pie tins to make individual pies and keep in the freezer for lunches.

Related Posts

0 comments:

Post a Comment